HOANG Phuc Hong Trang
BioControl (Biosystems Modeling and Control)
MAIN RESEARCH TOPICS :
• Mathematical modeling and parameter estimation of biological systems
• Model-based optimization and control of biological systems
• State estimation (software sensors) for biological systems
• Biological network analysis (metabolic flux analysis, flux balance analysis, flux variability analysis), especially for underdetermined systems (more unknown fluxes than available equations)
• Typical applications : microorganism (yeast, bacteria) or animal cell cultures in bioreactor (batch, fed-batch, perfusion) in the framework of agro-food and biopharmaceutical industries
FishMod - Mathematical modeling for ecosystem approach to fisheries management in Vietnam
In the last decades, Vietnamese fisheries have developed intensively. This sector is of course of primary importance for Vietnam from a socio-economical point of view. However, the consequences of fishing activity intensification can be very harmful for the marine ecosystem and can lead to severe reduction, or even depletion, of some fish stocks. To try keeping a sustainable development, a fishery management strategy has been approved for Vietnam in 2010. The goal was to reduce the coastal fishing pressure and to intensify offshore fishing. A strong limitation in this management strategy was to make decisions only based on single stock assessment. This latter does not take into consideration the numerous interactions between the different species at the ecosystem level. The scientific community has undertaken the analysis of marine ecosystems through mathematical models for several decades. In 2008, the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), advocated the use of ecosystem modeling for an ecosystem approach to fisheries management(FAO, 2008).
This project focuses on the development of mathematical models for an ecosystem approach to fisheries management in Vietnam. The general goal is to propose models that can be reliably used to develop an efficient fisheries management strategy.